Monday, June 8, 2009

Not everyone thinks a day is a day


Yes folks it's true!

Now you're probably thinking "What is this guy talking about?" A day is 24 hours of the same calendar day or it's a school day when you start and when you leave campus that ends your day. Or it's the time you start work then when you leave that is a day.

Yes there are work times that can overlap past midnight. You could in fact work a 3rd shift from 9pm to 6am which obviously crosses over 2 calendar days but it's still considered 1 work day. You wouldn't call in sick and expect 2 days worth of work docked from your paycheck would you? Now I do know you wish you can get paid as 2 days instead of 1.

That's what I thought until I met him. Who is he? One of my coworkers. You ever watch 'The Matrix Reloaded" when Neo was speaking with the Architect in the room full of screens? He thought of a bunch possibilities and his images was thinking and yelling at each other? Well that's him.

I wish I knew a million or more people so I am able to survey each user but I have been around for some time and out of the thousands of people I've met, I actually encountered one person that thinks a day isn't a day.


I found THE ONE!

He thinks a day isn't really a day. How did this discussion come about? Well in conversation I spoke about him completing a task in "one day". He said he could easily finish this task in a day without question. Now this is a work day not a full calendar day. I mean if he wants to spend 24 hours on doing this task, more power to him. But I don't think many of us will take on a task like that when you usually work 8 hours.

Okay thanks for hanging in there cause here comes the good part!

He works daily Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm with a 1 hour lunch. Sorry for all the numbers but it's a necessary point. He decided to start at 10am. Well 5pm comes along and he's not complete. That's 6 hours not counting the 1 hour lunch.

The next morning he comes in and I ask what was the status of the task. He proceeds to tell me since he worked on it for 6 hours and a work day consists of 8 hours he has 2 hours left on his "work day" clock.

Now this job of hours involves us to multitask. We're not a train on a track that can only go straight and cannot deviate from the rails. Think of our job as us being an octopus in an ocean swimming and using each tentacle to feel out different things at the same time. My point is we have many hats and just don't stand there and wear one single hat. We'll except for this guy.

I stood there confused thinking back about my life. I could have postponed of all my job tasks, school homework, or anything that had a date. Using his clock I could have said since I worked X amount of hours but did not complete what a "day" is I could carry it over to the next. Wow! I sure missed out.

Ok so the moral of the story is don't assume everybody is on the same page.

Because THE ONE will prove you wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment