
We are in the United States and are composed of different minorities. Of course some people will have accents. Even people who speak English have accents. Look at those people from the south or those guys from the east when they say "caah" which many others say "car."
Well I work with a set of strange people. One of them can't say "soy sauce." Well that's not the only thing he can't pronounce correctly but it's probably one of the most simple words that can be said besides "yes" and "no" and of course "hi."
You're probably asking why I'm harping on this guy and soy sauce? Well let me go on.
Now I'm not prejudice and in fact I'm Asian so I can make fun of other Asians like how black people call each other "nigga."
Okay going back on track with this soy sauce thing. I've personally witnessed this guy ask for the said soy sauce and every time with a blank stare you see them asking "What?" or "Huh?" Please note since soy sauce is predominantly an Asian seasoning and used in Asian restaurants, most of the time the employees happen to be of Asian descent as well.
Most people pronounce it like "so ee sos." When he says it (quickly at that) it comes out like "so sus." After several tries of him trying to communicate these 2 syllables I finally stepped in and ask for this so much desired salty seasoning. You can imagine their expression of relief on their face after probably wondering to themselves if they were in a daze or just not there when this guy asked for something commonly requested. I think only water is ranked number one as the most requested item then comes soy sauce. If we were not in a Asian restaurant I would say ketchup would be number two.
Here's the clutcher: He told me he had gone to the restaurant and asked for the the sauce and they gave him sweet n sour sauce. He told me with a straight face that they didn't hear him correctly. Now I had witnessed first hand that it wasn't the case. I had to bite my tongue in order to stop from bursting in laughter.
Now it's present time, well just a few days ago. I accompany him to a restaurant and again the request comes from him. After 4 times hearing "so sus" and "what?" I finally hear the server say "hot sauce?" I came to the rescue to stop this crazed conversation.
So my question to you is Can you say "soy sauce?"
He's an embarrassment to Asians!
ReplyDeleteI love soy sauce!!